Friday, May 20, 2011

Communicating Effectively

Blog Assignment: Communicating Effectively


The tone in all three messages was very business friendly and professional. They also convey the same message; I noticed there wasn’t any extra detail information in any of the messages. I believe all three messages conveyed the true meaning and intent; that was that, Jane wanted Mark to know that he had information she needed in order to meet her deadline; however I think that the message was missing specify information. She should ask that he send the report by a certain date; give him a deadline when her report is due; since this seems to be a team effort. Written communication should begin with clear purpose and state the situation, include as much detail as possible. Stolovitch (2010)


It is important to give dates and do not give the exact date your report is due but the date you want to be done with the report. This will give you enough time and not rush the project. Effective communication is sharing the right messages with the right people in a timely manner. Stolovitch (2010)


Communication isn’t just words; 93% communication is non-verbal; tonality and body language; effective communication is timely. It is important to document oral communication; after an informal or formal meeting summarize the discussion and send it out to the team. Stolovitch (2010)



Reference:

Stolovitch, H. ( 2010) Communicating with Stakeholders: Laureate: Walden University

3 comments:

  1. Hi Terri, (I am smiling although you cannot see it!)

    I had a slightly different impression of the three messages so I was glad I took the opprotunity to read your post. We do both agree with Dr. Stolovich about the importance of communication and its delivery to the right people. When I started work at my current employer I was amazed at how often people were carbon copied (cc) into emails, even those who were on the perihery of the projects. Now, having been there for a while I have become one of those people who use cc to make sure everyone is in the loop.

    Gerri

    Video Program: “Communicating with Stakeholders” Walden University, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri,

    You suggested a basic modification to the message that would have probably made a world of difference. Simply including dates and deadlines may result in a quicker response. I made a similar point in my post. It's important to make the message as clear as possible to avoid misconceptions. Just saying ASAP or in a timely manner is not enough. One person's idea of ASAP may be completely different than some else's. Clearly defined communication may alleviate misunderstandings that hinder a project.

    Great post,

    Charisse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri,

    I also mentioned in my post that key information was missing from the message. It is almost like the sender assumes the recipient will know the details and they do not need to be stated again. While this may be the case, the sender should still include as many details as possible for documentation purposes.
    Nanett

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Followers

About Me

My photo
Burtonsville, MD, United States
Hello World! Terri L. Williams here welcome to my corner! I am happy you stopped by; please let me know when you stopped in by leaving me a little note. I am currently living in Burtonsville, MD pursuing a Master's degree in IDT. I have a M.A. in Organizational Management and decided to go back and get another Master in IDT because I want to open a learning center with my daughter and cousin, in Memphis, TN. Since I’m new at blogging please let me know what I need to do to improve my blogging skills.